dhmlngeria.com (GMT) 9:00AM - 4:00PM


Home >FAQs

Miitary Visitors

Who is eligible?

All Serving and Retired Military personnel are eligible to register one spouse and four biological children of 18 years and below as provided for in the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) guidelines Dependants (i.e. spouse and children) of deceased personnel are also eligible.

How does the scheme works?

This is a descrption of the working processes behind the scheme:

  • A personnel registers with Defence Health Maintenance Limited (DHML) and is assigned with a registration number.
  • The serving personnel selects an accredited Military Primary Health Care Provider (PHCP) within his locality and supplies all the necessary personal details.
  • The retired personnel selects an accredited military or civillian Primary Health Care Provider (PHCP) within his/her locality and supplies all necessary personal details.
  • Dependants (i.e. spouse and children) details submitted on-line are backed-up with the upload of relevant document(s) by the registrant.
  • DHML/NHIS issues an ID card to the enrollees and their eligible dependants.
  • The military / civillian PHCP takes care of all the primary health care issues of the enrollee based on the NHIS benefit package.
  • The Primary Health Care Provider (PHCP) will refer the enrollee to a Secondary Health Care Provider (SHCP) or Tertiary Care Provider (TCP) accredited by the NHIS for specialized cases, with approval from DHML using the established referral guidelines.
  • Enrollees are not allowed to change their PHCP more than twice a year. Request for change of PHCP can be submitted online or at the DHML office closest to you. This will be treated within three (3) months of submission.

Who pays for the health services?

The Federal Government is responsible for the full payment of the contributions. No deduction is made from the salary of the serving or pension of the retired personnel.

How to access healthcare on transit

  • Serving Personnel are to report sick at the nearest Military Health Care Provider (Sickbay, Medical Reception Station, Medical Centre or Hospital) as directed by their unit’s Medical Officer.
  • Retired Personnel are to contact their chosen PHCP, DHML Call Centre or State offices before reporting sick at any NHIS accredited PHCP.
  • Provide a means of identification such as the Service identity card or DHML/NHIS Identity card.

How do I access healthcare when I am far away from where I am registered as my healthcare giver?

You can visit the nearest military hospital or healthcare provider with your military ID card. You can also call DHML or the NHIS desk officer at the healthcare facility where you are registered.

Can I register my parents with DHML?

Yes. Your parents however have to be categorized by DHML (upcoming) and you pay a premium for them in accordance with their category.

Are DHML Healthcare providers all over the country?

Yes. DHML has over 460 (300 civilian and 160 military) primary healthcare providers and 157 (124 civilian and 33 military) secondary/tertiary health care providers spread over the entire country. DHML also has offices in 22 states of the country.

Civilian Visitors

Who is eligible?